How to improve and extend EM liquid culture :
Making Activated EM
Prepared by Dan Woodward
Certain strains of bacteria in EM liquid only activate and multiply in the presence of a food source such as sugars. Therefore applying EM combined with a food source to soil or whatever other application you have in mind, enables a fuller spectrum of the beneficial microbes to express their effects. It is also a useful way of extending the quantity of EM you have, hence this preperation is known as extended EM or activated EM'.
1. Dissolve 2 tablespoons of molasses in a little warm water.
2. Pour the molasses into 10 litres of chlorine free water and stir thoroughly - Normal tap water can be left to stand for 24hrs to allow chlorine to evaporate.
3. Add 10-20 mls of EM into the molasses/water mix and stir.
4. Leave to stand in a warm place out of direct sunlight for 1-2 hours to allow the EM to activate.
5. Apply at the rate of one litre per square metre.
Note : Activated EM only has an effective life of 1 month. Only prepare as much as you anticipate using within this period.